So finally I’ve moved all services from my old server to my Christmas Xen box! This was not without problems due to the fact it had to run NetBSD-current
- gcc toolchain is broken for some packages which affected running any PHP build
- clang toolchain was broken for my config (USE_SSP= yes and CPUFLAGS+=-march=core2)
- clang compiles as a whole were broken due to a recent efiboot import
In hind-sight, I could have had the box up and running a lot sooner if I used NetBSD-7 guests (or maybe just a NetBSD-7 build box), but no, I just had to get-current running. It offers more than-7 and prior exerience told me that tracking-7 was very problematic … but that could have been due to my settings and wanting to compile everything with clang. I’ve currently got 3-current images there now … the Xen DOM0, the actual server itself as Xen DomU (without any compiler or tools) and another Xen DomU which just builds stuff for other guests to use.
Anyway, the box itself is now up and running and all relevant services have been moved to it. During this move, I decided to modernise things a little and setup HTTP/2. If you’re reading this then it’s working :) As such, I’ve re-directed all basic HTTP traffic to HTTPS and it does seem to load a lot faster. One side effect of this is that I’ve stoped using my own self signed certificates and I’m now using the nice Let’s Encrypt service. pkgsrc users should use the py-certbot package and don’t bother searching for any letsencrypt package as it’s been renamed. I found this quite confusing as there was no reference to the rename in pkgsrc I could find and wasted a little time on it.
But now it’s live I can finally look into bringing online some other development utilities to play around with as the server has a lot more room to grow :)