Roy's Blog

A Hacker's musings on Code | Tech | Life

All made up


Abbey is going to have her bridal makeup and hairdo test session today. She knocks me off my feet all the time anyway, so I'll be interested in seeing the results 8) I wonder how many heads she'll turn when I take her out for a nice meal tonight .... :evil:Discovered last night that we need new ladders they fell out from under me and I was left dangling from the loft hatch! Thankfully, Abbey came to the rescue :D I was up there messing around with the TV cables that go around the house as we've lost all BBC channels on FreeView. This was around the time that the new Channel Five stuff launched and as a result we need to buy a signal booster as everything worked if we unplugged all the other TVs.That truely sucks, but it still saves on paying the Sky Tax ;)

Continue reading...

After weeks of toil, sweat, abuse and plenty of beer, the Gentoo/FreeBSD/Sparc64 stage is finally ready :DGrab the stage from here!I already posted too gentoo-dev about it, so follow that linky for notes.Right now you can emerge a few packages and put together a small webserver with a choice of db backends. Hopefully I'll have some popular email servers keyworded too. After that keywording will slow down as I'll try and get some modular X going, but as it's a slow box it's going to be a slow process! :( Unless someone wants to donate a faster box for me to use :PI know that one person, Tobias Scherbaum has managed to get it working which is good! Hopefully more can too: maybe you? ;)

Continue reading...

So no gardening was done. On the plus side that left plently of time for catching up on housework stuff and writing a new Gentoo application. rc-depend is a C program that works out dependencies and ordering of all your init scripts. This was written because our bash logic, although now seemingly 100% accurate, was incredibly slow taking around 2-3 seconds on my 2Ghz laptop to work it out. rc-depend works it out in 0.05 seconds. The bigest increase though was on my 333Mhz sparc which shaved (best guess) around 8-10 seconds off the start time :D You'll see this in action in baselayout-1.13.0_alpha3, hopefully sometime this week ;)

Whilst writing it, I discovered that we no longer needed the RC_STICT_NET_CHECKING variable as we can now have >1 service providing something - in this case "net". A discussion then took place about removing it and I think I've answered everyones queries.

Hopefully I'll find the time to adapt this to our net modules too as that's the last real bottle neck in our bash code in baselayout :P

Continue reading...

Well, we've almost got the back garden de-rubbled - just one little patch to go. It would have been done this weekend if it was not for that pesky business of booking wedding cakes and honeymoon 8)We have booked 3 lovely weeks in Italy which includes 2 nights in Rome :DThis is really a 4 weeker though as we'll need a few days at either end to pack and unpack.

Continue reading...

OK, so after much nashing of teeth over Python not emerging, I bit the bullet and wiped my disk :jawdrop:

One reboot and wanging my new stage3 onto my sparc I discovered a few missing files - heh. Most of them were the fault of baselayout not installing system FreeBSD files (bad me) and one was a gcc-config bug where mv/cp is linked against as such can't copy from the specific gcc lib dir to /lib. Now vapier thinks that things like mv linking against libgcc_s are toolchain bugs: I'm inclined to agree only Gentoo gcc-4.x seems todo this on BSD as gcc-3.4.x doesn't. However, until we can find out why gcc wants todo this, we really need gcc-config fixed. Besides, other archs may have this issue too, so it's not like it's bad or anything ;)

But the really good news is that emerging Python now works :D This means I can make a puka stage 3 using catalyst once Flameeyes emails me the spec files.

Continue reading...